- The toastmaster (meeting chairperson) opens the meeting and introduces the guests.
- The topics master encourages members to give 1-2 minute off-the-cuff comments on topics pre-selected by the topicsmaster.
- Guests are welcome to volunteer and contribute to the topics session if they wish.
- The topics session lasts for about 30-40 minutes and is followed by a short break for tea, coffee and a biscuit (This offers guests a chance to meet other members).
- The second half of the meeting kicks off with pre-arranged speeches by members or visitors from neighbouring toastmasters clubs.
- Each Speech has a given learning objective.
- The toastmaster introduces each of the speakers and speeches last 5-7 minutes.
- Lights (green, yellow, red) are illiminated to indicate to the speaker when they have spoke for 5,6 and 7 minutes
- Once the speeches are completed each is evaluated by another member of the club.
- The general evaluator evaluates the meeting and each of the evaluators.
- The President is then invited by the toastmaster to make any necessary announcements
- The meeting is closed by the toastmaster.
- If available members retire to the bar for drinks and chat.
What to Expect at a Typical Toastmasters Meeting